Senior Communications Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory
Job posting number: #7122119 (Ref:414773)
Posted: January 26, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Are you a strong, result-oriented senior communications engineer with a passion for telecommunications solutions? Do you prioritize the end-user experience while planning projects? Are you comfortable in a distributed, de-centralized IT campus environment?
Argonne National Laboratory is looking for a skilled communications engineer who is comfortable adapting to a dynamic environment with a need for both short-term and long-term results. Ultimately, this team will be responsible for the architecture, design, implementation, and strategies surrounding communications systems with a strong focus on growing into a strong end-user experience-based organization.
In this role you can expect to:
- Be part of a small engineering team looking to grow its influence and leadership ability
- Work onsite at the Argonne campus supporting many communication systems like the radio infrastructure, cellular Distributive Antenna System (DAS), public address system, pager system, cable plant, telephone management software, and phone systems.
- Responsible for the development of strategic roadmaps for key services and technologies, providing leadership and holding accountability throughout their lifecycle.
- Act as a project leader on significant enterprise-scale projects and initiatives to translate roadmaps into class-leading IT solutions.
- Be comfortable with telecommunication principles and design
- Install, test, maintain and upgrade communications equipment
- Recommend new technologies, approaches, and techniques
- Manage requirements, specifications, and understand regulatory restrictions
- Help transform the organization from a reactive management approach to anticipating needs, issues, and addressing them early
We are a diverse, science-heavy environment balancing standardization versus flexibility, and reasonable trade-offs will need to be made to maintain a high level of user satisfaction. Over time, this group is expected to grow in size – both in personnel as well as system responsibility.
Required skills and experience:
- Analysis, design, implementation, and maintenance of communications systems in an enterprise information technology environment.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and techniques from the rapidly changing telecommunications management market.
- Ability to keep and update detailed documentation and drawings.
- Ability to inspect and maintain communications system throughout the lifecycle.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with peers, subordinates, and all levels of management.
- Project management and time management skills with independent work capabilities.
- Ability to learn and follow Laboratory and Department of Energy policies and procedures.
- Ability to model Argonne's core values impact, respect, safety, integrity and teamwork.
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract.
- Experience with at least one of the following (and you will receive training in the other areas):
- Managing radio communications systems including troubleshooting, configuration, maintenance, and best practices at a large scale.
- Cellular Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) including design, implementation, configuration, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of systems analysis and design, including troubleshooting complex or multiple integrated systems and services.
- Knowledge of voice and data networking principles.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Knowledge of copper and fiber structured cable plant design and implementation.
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance to individuals, teams, and managed service partners.
- Strong mechanical skills consistent with install, upgrade, and troubleshooting communications equipment.
- Detail-oriented requirements, designs, and deployments.
This position can be hired at one of two levels; the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT3 or PT4) dependent upon the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills. The minimum requirements of the two levels are as follows:
- PT3: Bachelor’s and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT4: Bachelor’s and 6+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileNetwork Engineering 4
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.