Assistant Professor of Professional & Continuing Studies - Developmental Mathematics
University of Oklahoma
Job posting number: #7143942 (Ref:if114500)
Posted: May 5, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The College of Professional and Continuing Studies at the University of Oklahoma seeks applicants for a full-time (9-month), ranked renewable term Assistant Professor to serve as lead faculty in the College’s Mathematical Foundations program with a starting date of August 16, 2023. The College of Professional and Continuing Studies encourages applications from all interested and qualified parties. Our mission statement and other information can be found at pacs.ou.edu.
Successful candidates will join the College’s effort in serving traditional in-resident students who require additional mathematics instruction in order to be successful in one of several college-level mathematics pathways. The College is in the midst of reimagining every aspect of our current program, and we are seeking a dynamic, innovative mathematics educator to guide the reshaping of the curriculum, faculty management and training, assessment, and program evaluation. We believe that success will lie outside traditional methods of secondary mathematics instruction and at the intersection of a highly engaged student model with implementation of cutting-edge scholarship in the area of remedial mathematics pedagogy. If such students are the focus of your passion for teaching, we want to hear from you.
- Oversee the Developmental Mathematics program at the University of Oklahoma (approximately 1500 students/year).
- Revise curriculum to better align learning goals within the program to university mathematics requirements.
- Teach approximately a 3:3 load of developmental math students (2:2 during the first year while curricular revisions are ongoing).
- Hire (as needed), train, and evaluate a cadre of approximately 15 adjunct instructors.
- Coordinate with members of the Affiliated Programs staff to assure that administrative requirements of the program are being met.
- Evaluate program success metrics and report out to stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Liaise with University entities such as the Math Department, University College, College of Education, Rose State College, and the OSRHE as needed.
- Master’s degree in mathematics or mathematics education.
- Documented excellence in teaching foundational mathematics to secondary and/or post-secondary level students.
- Experience in implementing active learning activities to promote meaningful student engagement in the classroom.
- Experience designing and revising curriculum and assessment activities to promote learning and student success.
Preferences (Not Required):
- Ph.D. or terminal degree in mathematics or mathematics education.
- Experience with assessment and program evaluation in the discipline of foundational mathematics education.
- Experience with hiring, developing, and training educational staff.
- A record of scholarship/clinical research focused on student success in foundational or remedial mathematics education for post-secondary students.
- A distinguished record of and passion for supporting inclusive excellence.
Applicants are invited to submit a comprehensive cover letter (not to exceed 2 pages), current C.V., and a list of 3 academic/professional references to https://apply.interfolio.com/123958. The cover letter should address examples of the candidate’s approach to teaching, including inclusive excellence as related to adult students. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. The search will remain open until filled.
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on June 15, 2023.
Inquiries should be directed to the search committee chair:
Dr. David Babb, Associate Dean, College of Professional and Continuing Studies
University of Oklahoma