Scientific Engineering Assistant - MSD
Argonne National Laboratory
Job posting number: #7146524 (Ref:415905)
Posted: May 23, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Provides technical support to the scientific staff of the Materials Science Division in the procurement, installation, modification, trouble shooting, commissioning and safe operation of new or existing equipment in MSD laboratories. Demonstrate expertise and experience in the areas of electronics technology, mechanical, electromechanical, and electrical areas. Capable of developing and presenting innovative solutions to solve unique technical problems. Support the effort to reduce the MSD footprint within all MSD occupied buildings. Assist with the MSD Staff Shop and with ensuring that all users are properly trained and authorized.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of mechanical and/or electrical engineering principles, practices, codes and standards, as applied to maintenance, operations and modifications of research facilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex electronic and mechanical apparatus to support programmatic work.
- Knowledge of safe work practices in laboratories, and of chemical, electrical, electronic and mechanical safety practices.
- Demonstrated experience in electronics technology, technical program management, machining, and vacuum systems. Analytical assessment and problem resolution abilities and skills.
- Knowledge and effective use of varied computer applications including databases.
- Ability to use independent judgment to make decisions and solve problems.
- Proven ability to be highly responsive, meet demanding deadlines, and prioritize projects, work tasks, and issues.
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills with demonstrated ability to work with multiple levels of internal and external contacts to achieve a common goal.
- Outstanding communications skills: written, verbal, interpersonal.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field and 4 years of experience.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileFacilities Engineering 3
Time TypePart time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.