Director AI Research and Strategic Development, National Security Focus
Argonne National Laboratory
Job posting number: #7146709 (Ref:415937)
Posted: May 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne's Computing, Environmental, Life Sciences (CELS) directorate is seeking a Director of AI Research and Strategic Development, National Security focus, to join their team. This Director will lead the conception and implementation of directorate and cross directorate Artificial Intelligence (AI) related research projects. While functioning as the primary contact in CELS for national security AI projects and will set CELS long-term vision and strategic direction for AI in national security.
In addition, you can expect to:
- Serve as a point of contact in CELS for agency program offices that fund AI and HPC activities in national security and quantum information sciences.
- Play a lead role in the mathematical basis of AI efforts including advancing our research efforts in AI surrogate models for physics-based simulation.
- Collaborate and work with a broad spectrum of scientists within and external to Argonne to leverage state-of-the-art AI and next-generation high-performance computing to accelerate scientific discovery.
- Lead mathematical modeling projects and drive internal CELS national security and other related projects that complement those in other directorates.
- Identify funding opportunities and lead funding proposal preparation towards AI program development.
- Evolve leadership techniques and strategies as AI efforts expand.
- Lead and manage AI research program area consisting of multiple projects involving multidisciplinary. teams leading program development and growth efforts while ensuring quality research.
- Manage the overall science and budgetary responsibilities while working with the Associate Laboratory Director to resolve effort activities of the team.
- Foster and supervise a talented team of cross-directorate scientists, postdocs and students and establish relationships with universities and research organizations.
- This level of knowledge and skill is typically achieved through a Master's or Ph.D. in computer science, physics, engineering, or related field and 10+ years of experience, or equivalent.
- Ability to define, gather support for, communicate and implement strategic projects.
- Knowledge and understanding of research laboratory operations, activities, and regulatory requirements.
- Considerable leadership skills in forming ad-hoc working groups from diverse and cross-organizational collections of individuals.
- Proven ability to deliver recommendations and action plans to address needs and issues.
- Demonstrated success in supporting and driving interdisciplinary research.
- Skill in building relationships and sustaining consensus and collaboration among key internal and external stakeholders including sponsors, managers, team members, and other professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with academia as well as other national laboratory partners for the purpose of research.
- Experience developing innovative ideas, techniques, and methodologies, and adapting them to current research.
- Considerable knowledge of general practices and objectives of funding agencies.
- Experience in both writing proposals and leading a team through the development of proposals. Experience in developing strategies to attract, motivate and retain a high-performing, diverse staff.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Q clearance if required by specific projects.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileR&D Multi-Functional Leader 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.