BioEnergy Curriculum Developer
Argonne National Laboratory
Job posting number: #7146892 (Ref:415949)
Posted: May 25, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Educational activities are facilitated by the University Programs and Partnerships Team within Argonne. The mission of University Programs and Partnerships is to connect world-class research to tomorrow’s STEM problem solvers.
Argonne cultivates the next generation of scientists and engineers by connecting with over 23,000 youth and families through our Outreach programs, inspiring 4,400 middle and high school students in our on-site Learning Center and providing internships and on-site programming to over 1,000 university students each year.
This role will conceptualize, develop, and field test learning case studies for a community college audience in the area of bioenergy (renewable energy from organic materials or biofuels). Additionally, this position will also assist in the planning and implementation of an annual bioenergy learning summit for undergraduate students for the IBET project and lead cross-laboratory educational efforts for the Department of Energy (DOE) funded Bioprocessing Separations Consortium. This position is funded by multiple DOE grants and can be renewed each year based on available funding.
In this role you will:
- Conceptualize and design two educational case studies for community college students that integrate a regional challenge, bioenergy/circular economy data, and data visualization software. (60%)
- Developing learning goals that integrate bioenergy and computational thinking practices as informed by national standards and other key research in computational thinking
- Curate and formalize research datasets into learning data sets
- Formalize a real-world problem into a learning module that provides students with data, visualization tools and other resources to explore the problem
- Use problem-based learning best practices to guide case study development
- Design and write facilitator guides to be delivered in an online forum
- Support the launch and data collection of a national field test. (10%)
- Assisting in the identification of field test sites and faculty
- Designing field test data collection instruments
- Maintaining regular communication with field test faculty
- Analyzing data collected from field test and identifying changes needed to the learning case studies
- Contribute to the marketing and instructor implementation of the bioenergy focused case studies. (10%
- Supporting the larger DOE social media campaign with images, stories and learning artifacts
- Helping connect the program into other educational organizations, programs and trade associations
- In partnership with Argonne staff, amplify the program via Argonne social media channels
- Plan and implement a two-day Minorities in Bioenergy Learning Summit for undergraduate students. (20%)
- Planning agenda in partnership with the bioenergy research team, recruiting students and implementing the Summit
We expect you to have:
- Knowledge and experience in designing activities and curricula for college age students. Specifically Experience in: scientific inquiry, case study development, problem-based learning, and computational thinking
- Experience in developing data science focused learning environments. Specifically, integrating data analysis technology, virtual models, simulations, and visualizations
- Skill in designing and implementing STEM instructional materials
- Knowledge of implementing computational thinking, visualizations, modeling and simulations
- Knowledge of bioenergy or circular economy a plus
- Knowledge of learning theory and pedagogical best practices.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Respect, Safety, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, education, technology, engineering or math including bioenergy, chemistry, material science, computational science, environmental science and two years of experience in a higher education or informal learning environment.
- This position will may require you to participate in occasional weekend programming.
Job FamilyProfessional Administrative (PA)
Job ProfileEducation Outreach 1
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.