Software Engineering Manager — Accelerator Optimization
San Francisco, CA
Job posting number: #7150533 (Ref:op-daa64c9cf4)
Posted: May 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About the Team
We’re forming a new team to work with our partners on accelerator optimization and co-design, and are looking for a founding tech lead and engineering manager.
This team will be responsible for identifying promising new AI accelerators, building frameworks and compilers, and porting our models to these new accelerators.
While primarily a software team, this team will be multidisciplinary and include experts in hardware design as well as data center facility design.
If you’re excited to work at the intersection of cutting edge AI and emerging hardware designs this role is for you!
In this role, you will:
- Build cross-platform AI training frameworks
- Work with leadership to select hardware partners and define our long-term hardware strategy
- Lead evaluations of their accelerators and influences the roadmap of hardware partners
- Hire a team of world-class engineers
- Ensure your team of engineers are performing at their peak, are growing, and advancing in their careers
- Provide technical direction and mentorship
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Have at least 10 years of industry experience and at least 3 years of experience as a software engineering manager or director
- Have a strong bias toward action, and won’t take no for an answer
- Are deeply thoughtful about culture, DEI, and team structure with a track record of improving these areas
- Experience closing competitive candidates for their team and the ability to craft and convey compelling visions of the future
- A voracious and intrinsic desire to learn and fill in missing skills. An equally strong talent for sharing that information clearly and concisely with others
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and rapidly changing conditions. You view changes as an opportunity to add structure and order when necessary
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $370,000 – $600,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.