Senior Physician Relations Liaison - Orange County
City of Hope
Job posting number: #7150647 (Ref:10021478)
Posted: May 26, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $40.78 - $63.21 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The Senior Physician Relations Liaison will operate as a resource across the Orange County region, providing training, onboarding, support, and guidance to other Liaisons as well as assisting department leadership with other operational or strategic objectives. With strategic expansion into the communities, the role of the Senior Liaison is critical in developing and sustaining relationships with referring physicians and office staff. Responsible for the targeting, developing, and strengthening relationships between external physicians and City of Hope Orange County clinical sites, the Senior Liaison will support the overall growth strategies for the region, as well as Duarte campus; engaging physician involvement and participation in key City of Hope programs as outlined in the Strategic Plan. This position will visit physician offices regularly with updates on regional services, and ensure that physicians are satisfied with the level of care following recent referrals.
The successful incumbent provides and recommends the appropriate programs, services, specific knowledge about treatments and background on City of Hope physicians. The primary responsibility of this position is to develop and maintain strong referral relationships between City of Hope and the community-based physicians throughout the region. The overall goal of the position is to increase visibility of City of Hope’s services, increase referrals and new patient acquisitions.
Key Responsibilities include:
- In partnership with department leadership, trains and onboards all newly hired Physician Relations Liaisons and provides additional support across regions as needed or requested.
- Assists with the management of operations, projects, or department goals as assigned.
- Provides input and assists with the evaluation and management of Physician Liaisons, including personnel issues, scheduling, delegating work, coaching for performance, and managing change or implementing new programs/services.
- In partnership with the City of Hope community practice site physicians, the Liaison will develop and create strategic opportunities to promote outreach, grow referrals and increase City of Hope recognition. Drive assigned business lines to achieve projected patient volumes and revenue goals.
- Enhance relationships with community physicians through events, office contacts, written communications and other strategic approaches. Answer physician questions about facility, availability, capabilities, terms, treatment solutions and clinical trials. Troubleshoot complaints, as necessary.
- Support attendance to continuing medical education (CME) events.
- Contacts, meets with and orients each new community practice provider.
- Analyze market to determine the highest value doctors, identify geographic areas of opportunities by zip and physician, as well as ROI.
- Collaborate with other team members on Foundation, community practice sites, physicians in Duarte, and CME department.
- Fully understands and executes the state growth goals provided by Sr. Manager, Physician Relations and Orange County leadership to achieve the monthly, quarterly and annual metrics.
- Under the direction of the Sr. Manager, Physician Relations allocates the majority time to building existing and new relationships with physicians or key individuals; proactively identifies needs and presents ways that City of Hope’s services and programs can add value to physician/client service needs.
- Performs sales calls and visits with community physicians, their office staffs on a routine and consistent basis, and within guidelines set by the Sr. Manager, Physician Relations.
- Reports issues to the Sr. Manager, Physician Relations and appropriate regional leadership to identify root cause and problem
- Works with service lines and marketing department to share collateral material as appropriate with the physicians and office staffs.
- Provides weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to Leadership on sales encounter and activities tracking and provides input for the Business Development update report.
- Maintains encounter file of visits and discussions to enable prompt follow-up and monitoring. Maintains profile on each key physician, including pertinent information about the individual physician, the physician’s group, key office staff and the physician’s particular interests.
- Represents City of Hope in community events as assigned.
- Works effectively and collaboratively with others toward common goals. Communicates accurately, honestly, supportively and in a timely manner with department and interdepartmental team members.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Performs all duties in accordance with City of Hope’s mission statement and core values.
- Maintains strict confidentiality within the department and community of all strategic and other information regarding physicians, patients and City of Hope’s care sites.
- Demonstrates professionalism and cultural sensitivity in coordinating activities and communicating with all customers, peers and the community at large.
- Is familiar with and adheres to City of Hope’s Compliance Policies and explains relevant issues to clients and City of Hope Leadership.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, or Healthcare. Prefer advance degree in healthcare administration. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- Professional experience with a minimum of 7+ years of experience in customer relations, physician relations or sales in a healthcare/hospital setting is required.
- Well-versed in oncology and treatment solutions; must be able to speak peer to peer; ability to address any concerns about referring patients to City of Hope
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Background in pharmaceutical or medical device sales preferred
- The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $40.78 - $63.21 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.