Multiple research positions in ultrafast lasers, optics, and applications at The Ohio State University
Job posting number: #7161133
Posted: August 4, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Ultrafast lasers, nonlinear optics, laser engineering, attosecond science, XUV spectroscopy
Research scientists, optical engineers, postdoctoral researchers
To be determined (depends on qualifications); excellent benefits package
The National eXtreme Ultrafast Science (NeXUS) Facility is a cutting-edge, ultrafast soft x-ray and extreme ultraviolet (XUV) user facility under development in Columbus, Ohio, USA. The NeXUS Facility will enable researchers to perform time-resolved studies of chemical, electronic, and material dynamics at femtosecond to attosecond time scales and at angstrom length scales. NeXUS is entering its commissioning phase and planning for its operational phase.
NeXUS is hiring scientists and engineers in a variety of specialties and career stages. Researchers will expand the facility’s capabilities and demonstrate the research frontiers of the facility. Research staff will be responsible for designing, commissioning, maintaining, and operating the facility in support of user experiments. Successful applicants will be part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical, and administrative staff.
The next two prioritized hires will be (1) a research scientist/engineer focused on ultrafast lasers and (2) a postdoctoral researcher focused on XUV studies of samples in a solvent matrix. The responsibilities for both positions will include contributions to commissioning of the NeXUS subsystems and system, including reporting the results in scientific conferences and peer-reviewed journals. Candidates interested in NeXUS and outside these focus areas are still encouraged to apply because NeXUS expects to open multiple positions over the next 18 months.
• PhD in physics (AMO), optical engineering, physical chemistry, or related field
• Research experience in ultrafast/attosecond physics, ultrafast lasers, chemistry, or related field
• Laboratory experience with at least one NeXUS experimental technique: ultrafast lasers, high harmonic generation, attosecond experiments, x-ray absorption/reflection, ARPES, or scanning-tunneling microscopy
• Strong communication and collaboration skills
• Strong oral and written English skills
• Staff research positions are planned to be long-term staff positions.
• Postdoctoral appointments will be limited to 1-2 years.
Please provide a cover letter and a CV in English.
Submit application information to TJ Ronningen ([email protected])
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.