Software Engineer/Systems Admi
Job posting number: #7187410 (Ref:hh-64085BR)
Posted: October 23, 2023
Position DescriptionThe Gygi lab is looking for a software engineer/systems administrator with more than 9 years of experience. This person would oversee a software package called "Mass Pike" which is a complete solution for mass spectrometry data acquired using sample multiplexing techniques like Tandem Mass Tags. In addition, this person will be expected to drive decision making processes with respect to the incorporation of newer data types and additional mass spectrometry platform support. Mass Pike has been developed over the past 15 years in the Gygi lab. The software is web-based with a SQL database which stores the raw and processed data. Code is written in C++ for computation with a PHP-based database and webserver. Every aspect of this software program and its implementation across the Gygi lab and two core facilities is performed by this position. In addition, this person would also interact with more than a dozen other labs that have licensed Mass Pike from Harvard University for help using and maintaining the software. Moreover, this person will perform research computing activities within the Gygi lab at HMS. Finally, this person works with HMS IT to ensure the backup and retrieval of samples for the fee for service facilities that use mass spectrometry including the Taplin Biological MS Facility and the ThermoFisher Center for Multiplexed Proteomics at HMS (TCMP@HMS).
Job duties will include:
- Project management (MassPike Software Suite)
- Software engineering in C++
- Software engineering in PHP
- Oversight of all software needs for the Taplin Biological MS Facility and the ThermoFisher Center for Multiplexed Proteomics (TCMP@HMS)
- Drive decisions for future versions of "Mass Pike" to include additional data types and instrument platforms
- Lead the Bioinformatics subgroup in the Gygi lab (currently a group of four Postdocs and Instructors)
- Oversee existing users of MassPike with software licenses (~20 groups so far). Ensure that the software is upgraded when needed and working
- Interact with HMS IT to ensure networking and backup are working for both core facilities and the Gygi lab
- To manage future hires
- Minimum of nine years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be contacted during off hours
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Previous experience with mass spectrometry data workflows is a required.
- Previous experience with enterprise-level software engineering is required.
- C++ coding is required.
- PHP coding is required for the web and database servers.
- Strong experience with database programming and web servers is required
Additional InformationOccasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be contacted during off hours.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities! (https://www.gem.com ?formID=16341e35-cbc6-4904-88a3-09b35763307e)
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.