Beamline Scientist - Microscopy
Job posting number: #7188587 (Ref:416727)
Posted: October 27, 2023
The eBERlight group at the X-ray Science Division (XSD) of the Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) is currently seeking a beamline scientist to provide support for the biological and environmental research activities at the Microscopy group beamlines (MIC). The primary focus of this role will be to advance the applications of 2D and 3D x-ray fluorescence imaging, x-ray spectromicroscopy, and x-ray ptychography to enable transformational scientific discoveries advancing a comprehensive understanding of complex biological, earth, and environmental systems.
The ideal candidate will have the following responsibilities in the field of x-ray microscopy:
- Pioneering innovative techniques and methodologies
- Providing support for user activities at associated beamline facilities
- Advancing applications in the fields of biological and environmental science through close collaboration with the other members of the Microscopy group and eBERlight users
- Contribute to the regular maintenance, operation, and upgrade activities of the beamlines in the Microscopy group
- Responsible for effective communication of relevant findings in an appropriate manner
- R&D activities, conceiving, designing and implementing synchrotron instrumentation equipment and scientific experiments
- Outreach activities to build a user community
- User operation and support
- Coordinating engineers and support staff assigned to the project
- Reporting project progress status and relevant results in an appropriate form
- Knowledge in the fields of biological and environmental science, offering valuable insights and diverse perspectives.
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing applications in biological and environmental science specifically for high-resolution x-ray microscopy/ptychography.
- Proficiency in software development for advanced data acquisition and analysis strategies, enabling seamless integration of multimodal data and extraction of relevant information.
- Expertise in designing and developing customized in situ/operando sample environments specifically designed for the study of biological and environmental systems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for effectively conveying scientific results and experimental plans.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment, displaying flexibility and quick adaptation to new situations.
- Skills and expertise in the use and design of sample environments or analysis of multimodal datasets are desirable.
- Role model Argonne’s Core Values.
- Understand, value, and promote diversity.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- RD4: Bachelor's Degree and 12+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 7+ years experience, a Doctorate and 6+ years, or equivalent.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfilePhysics 4
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.