Business Systems Analyst
Job posting number: #7191876 (Ref:hh-64292BR)
Posted: November 7, 2023
Position DescriptionThe Harvard Medical School Student Information Systems Team supports the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Harvard Medical School, inclusive of the Program in Medical Education (PME), the Graduate Programs, and the PHD programs in Integrated Life Sciences. The Business Systems Analyst reports to the Product Owner. This position will work closely with HMS & University constituents (staff, faculty, students, & leadership) to apply technological and other solutions to simplify procedures and to improve service to meet the needs of our constituents. Incumbent will independently analyze, identify, develop and communicate technical solutions. Devise and/or modify procedures to solve complex technical problems.
Responsibilities of the Business Systems Analyst include:
- Use deep knowledge of Student/Faculty business processes, technology, analytical and organizational skills, problem solving skills, and outreach with constituents to develop better tools, systems, and administrative processes.
- Perform user needs analysis, identify gaps, evaluate new functionality within the SIS (Peoplesoft Campus Solutions/My.Harvard), admissions system (Slate/AMP), Financial aid (Powerfaids), through implementation and support;
- Develop and maintain PeopleSoft Dashboards and Workcenters to provide users with self-service access to data, information, and analysis;
- Develop expertise with PeopleSoft data tools such as Query Manager, Data Warehouse, PL/SQL, OBIEE, BI Publisher reporting tool;
- Become an expert in course and enrollment data to support critical\\complex curricular, student, and enrollment functions;
- Design new processes within the Slate admissions system to improve user experience for applicants and faculty;
- Lead various academic planning processes such as requisite coding and course equivalency setup;
- Serve as a point of contact for the HUIT security team who manage user security profiles for my.harvard;
- Project manage one or more new business process or technological initiatives.
- Liaise with stakeholders in HUIT, Registrar’s Office, and others in HMS and University to ensure successful adoption and implementation of new initiatives.
- Work with the technical team to make sure that requirements are well understood as part of the software development lifecycle;
- Perform user acceptance testing for student information systems and other processes.
- Work independently to document, configure and test enhancements and fixes.
- Identifies and documents comprehensive test cases;
- Assist with user training, documentation, and business process workflow design.
- Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or similar field
- Master's degree preferred
- 5+ years of IT experience with 2 – 4 years in business analysis
- Experience with Student Information Systems, Slate admissions, Blue Course evaluations
- PeopleSoft, SQL, PL/SQL or other data/reporting languages/software experience
- Experience using data for decision-making, reporting, and analysis
- Familiarity with desktop, mobile, or web-based software applications and relational databases with a service delivery approach.
- Familiarity with Peoplesoft Campus Solutions and/or Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Suite and/or Oracle Analytics will be a plus
- Demonstrated team performance delivering technology solutions with a service mindset approach
- Familiarity with the agile methodology and experienced working with agile frameworks and tools
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve complex issues
- Strong ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with internal and external teams
- Ability to prioritize and multitask, deadline and detail-oriented
- Troubleshooting skills, problem resolution, project management and, technology evaluation to meet business requirements.
Additional InformationThe health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities! (https://www.gem.com ?formID=16341e35-cbc6-4904-88a3-09b35763307e)
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.