Assistant Professor of Music - Composition
University of Oklahoma, OKlahoma
Job posting number: #7191953 (Ref:if125775)
Posted: November 7, 2023
Rank: Assistant Professor, full-time, tenure-track, benefits eligible, 9-month faculty appointment.
Start Date: August 16, 2024
The Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts School of Music at the University of Oklahoma seeks applicants for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor of Composition with a starting date of August 16, 2024. We seek candidates of exceptional promise who specialize in 20th and 21st century art music written for acoustic ensembles (chamber, band, choir, orchestra).
· Teach composition lessons at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
· Teach Orchestration and Advanced Orchestration classes.
· Build and maintain an active creative research program. Establish a record of creative activity and productivity in national and international venues leading to being a recognized authority in the field.
· Recruit composition students in both undergraduate and graduate level.
· Mentor graduate students and serve on graduate advisory committees (Masters and Doctoral level).
· Participate in service to the School of Music, the University, and the profession.
· D.M.A. or Ph.D. in Composition or a Master's Degree in Composition with significant professional experience. Applicants who are ABD with an expected date of completion in May 2024 will be considered.
· Artistic excellence manifested through written compositions, published scores, commissions, performances in nationally and internationally recognized conferences, festivals and venues, album recordings (solo, or compilations), and composition awards.
· Demonstrated excellence in college-level teaching either as a faculty member or graduate teaching assistant.
· Excellence in teaching music majors and music graduate students.
· A secondary area of specialization, such as music for media, videogame, film, electroacoustic music, algorithmic music, computer aided composition, A.I., improvisation, music production & recording, music theory & analysis.
· A broad range of stylistic and aesthetic sympathies within the spectrum of contemporary western art music.
· An active commitment to live performance, including the ability to conduct new music chamber ensembles.
· Strong interest in cross-disciplinary work.
· Commitment to contributing to the artistic vitality of the academic community within the School of Music and across the University through innovative teaching and dedicated service.
· Candidates apply online through interfolio.com
· Please provide a letter of application outlining qualifications and research interests; a curriculum vitae; a link of 3 recent representative compositions (recordings & scores), three confidential letters of recommendation. A teaching video will be requested from finalists at a later date.
· Review of applications begins on November 20, 2023 and will continue until filled.
Inquiries should be directed to the search committee chair:
Dr. Konstantinos Karathanasis, Professor of Music Technology & Composition
University of Oklahoma, School of Music
500 W. Boyd St.
Norman, OK 73019