Open Rank Professor and Director of Computer Science
OU Norman Campus, OKlahoma
Job posting number: #7192866 (Ref:if127703)
Posted: November 10, 2023
The School of Computer Science at the University of Oklahoma invites applications for an open rank, 12-month full-time Director with a start date of Fall 2024. We seek candidates who will provide leadership and vision to lead the School to a new level. The School of Computer Science is growing rapidly in size and impact. It has 24 faculty from a wide variety of backgrounds, more than 800 undergraduate students, and over 140 graduate students. It has vibrant research and teaching programs that are aligned with OU’s strategic plan and is a key partner in OU’s world-class Data Science and Analytics Institute. The School is housed in the Gallogly College of Engineering and has an ABET-accredited BS program in Computer Science and also offers MS and PhD degrees.
Our faculty has nearly doubled in size, from 13 to 24, in the last 6 years, thanks to deep institutional support to the School of Computer Science. With a continued commitment to graduating more computer scientists and engineers, we expect to continue to grow over the next five years. With an annual research expenditure of $6.3M, and $9M in new awards in FY23, the School is second in research funding in the Gallogly College of Engineering. Our research expenditures have grown from $1.4M to $6.3M in the last 3 years, with explosive growth expected in the near future due to an influx of 11 talented new faculty in the last four years and collaborations within and across academic disciplines. The School is experiencing rapid growth in student enrollment, an increase of almost 27% (from around 660 to 840) in the last 3 years. The main research groups in the School consist of machine learning, bioinformatics, cybersecurity, networking, and visualization.
The University of Oklahoma (OU) is a Carnegie-R1 comprehensive public research university known for excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement, serving the educational, cultural, economic, and healthcare needs of the state, region, and nation from three campuses: Norman, the Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City, and the Schusterman Center in Tulsa. OU enrolls over 31,000 students and has more than 2,900 full-time faculty members in 21 colleges.
We encourage applications from candidates who are seeking to work in a rapidly growing School with interdisciplinary groups and a strong academic unit. The School of Computer Science prides itself on being a place where all are welcomed and supported.
- Ph.D. in CS or an adjacent discipline.
- Compelling and convincing vision for the future of computing
- Substantial experience with CS teaching in higher education
- A record of published and funded research
- Research focus in CS or an adjacent discipline
- Academic management experience
- Has received research funding from a variety of sources (e.g. government, industry, foundations)
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds from external constituents
- Experience as a faculty member at a large public institution
- Experience with ABET accreditation of computing programs
- Demonstrated service to one or more professional societies
- Ability to work with the Industry Advisory Board to garner various forms of support for our program (e.g. speakers, monetary donations, student mentorship)
- A personal history of valuing and performing service work
- A vision for how CS can and should fit into the broader OU campus (e.g. service courses, CS adjacent majors)
Other Desired Attributes:
- Ability to interact with CS-adjacent programs like Data Science
- Experience with certificates, certifications, and other forms of credentials outside of traditional BS, MS, and PhD degrees
Applicants should submit materials to http://apply.interfolio.com. Materials should include:
1. a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for all aspects of the position (The cover letter may address examples of the candidate's approach to teaching, research, and inclusive excellence.),
2. a vision statement for the School,
3. complete contact information (including full mailing and e-mail addresses and telephone numbers) for three people willing to write letters of recommendation, and
4. a current C.V.
Additional materials may be requested at a later date. The search will remain open until filled.
Inquiries should be directed to the search committee chair, Dr. Mohammed Atiquzzaman, School of Computer Science, University of Oklahoma, [email protected], (405) 325 8077.