Assistant Professor of Musical Theatre - Performance
University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus
Job posting number: #7195247 (Ref:if128147)
Posted: November 10, 2023
The A. Max Weitzenhoffer School of Musical Theatre (SOMT) at the University of Oklahoma invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Performance. Appointment will begin in Fall 2024. We seek an acting teacher/stage director in musical theatre who is a collaborative theatre educator/practitioner that possesses an eclectic point-of-view – to work with our diverse student body. This artist should be an innovative teacher, inventive storyteller, and joyful colleague ready to mentor our students to lead a 21st century theatre industry.
The candidate must possess specific skills in teaching/coaching acting through song that provide students the tools to create dynamic and imaginative characters. They should be an experienced stage director of musicals with an active professional career and wealth of connections. Every student in the SOMT will study with this faculty member.
This position contributes to the creative/research activity of the SOMT and the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts at OU. As a director, they annually lead University Theatre musical productions and work collaboratively with student, faculty, and guest designers from the Helmerich School of Drama design/production area.
- A Bachelor’s in Acting or Musical Theatre.
- Demonstrated ability teaching acting to musical theatre artists at the post-secondary level.
- Demonstrated experience directing and/or acting in musicals at regional theatres in the U.S.
- Membership in Actors’ Equity Association (AEA).
- An MFA in Acting, Directing or Musical Theatre.
- Demonstrated ability teaching acting musical theatre artists at the collegiate level.
- Demonstrated experience directing and/or acting in musicals on a national level in the U.S.
- Membership in Stage Directors and Choreographers Society (SDC).
Please submit to interflio.com:
- 1-page Cover Letter, which may address the candidate's approach to teaching and directing.
- Theatrical Resume
- Academic Vita
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Contact information for 3 references
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Person of contact: Ashton Byrum at [email protected]