LAB ASSISTANT I
Job posting number: #7195383 (Ref:hlj_50748)
Posted: November 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- The Laboratory Assistant I is responsible for ensuring proper handling of all specimens received in the clinical and anatomic pathology laboratories and preparation of these specimens for testing. Job duties include computer data entry and accessioning of orders and also specimen processing tasks,including centrifugation, aliquoting, slide preparation packaging, shipment of referral laboratory specimens and transport and delivery of specimens to the testing departments.
- The Laboratory Assistant I performs all duties under the supervision of a technologist, Lead Lab Assistant, Supervisor,or laboratory director.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is dedicated to superior customer service and satisfaction.
- Has previous experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Works effectively and constructively to find mutually beneficial solutions for all concerned parties.
- Commits to the principle of continuous improvement in the workplace.
- Exhibits a problem solving attitude, constantly seeks ways to improve processes.
- Receive samples electronically in the LIS, while being conscious of duplicate orders, incorrect sample types, and sample requirements. Knowledgeable about panel components. Competent about test orderpriority, specimen rejection criteria, and shared sample procedure.
- Demonstrates a thorough working knowledge of order entry and specimen accessioning functions, including a sound working knowledge of test codes and specimen requirements.
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly, and as needed preventive maintenance procedures including: recording of temperatures, centrifuge rpm and timer checks, and eye wash station maintenance.
- Must follow all regulatory requirements in reference to lab safety procedures regarding use of personal protective equipment, universal precautions for sample handling and safety laboratory practices.
- Processes general specimens, that specimenintegrity is acceptable when distributed to lab testing sections.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High school Diploma or Equivalent required.
- Ability to multi-task in a busy, disruptive environment.
- Must be a team player, adaptable to change at a moments notice.
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Must possess strong oral communications skills and sound reasoning capability based on common sense logic.
- Must demonstrate competent computer data entry skills.
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.