Job posting number: #7195431
Posted: November 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Description
Postdoctoral Associate Positions in Decision Neuroscience and/or Computational Psychiatry
Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion
Multiple postdoctoral openings are available in the labs of Dr. Pearl Chiu and Dr. Brooks Casas at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion (http://research.vtc.vt.edu/) in Roanoke, Virginia. Projects in the labs use a variety of human neuroscience methods (including fMRI, in vivo electrochemistry, MEG) to examine motivated behavior and social influences on decision-making with additional methods adapted from behavioral & computational neuroscience, experimental economics, computational psychiatry, and psychology. Ongoing projects focus on processes in individuals with and without psychopathology and address both basic and translational questions. Qualified candidates with basic science backgrounds are welcome, and training in applied science will be provided. For interested candidates, the labs provide plentiful opportunities to examine the functional neuroscience of decision-making and its disruption in depression, substance dependence, post-traumatic stress, personality disorders, and at-risk adolescents. Exceptional motivation and potential for excellence will be more important than the specific area of prior training.
The labs are located in the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion in Roanoke, VA, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. The FBRI provides full access to outstanding infrastructure, including four research-dedicated Siemens 3T scanners, facilities for in vitro electrochemistry, neurosurgical collaborations for in vivo electrochemistry, and high-throughput computing clusters. Successful candidates will play lead roles in highly collaborative multidisciplinary scientific efforts.
Please forward a statement of interest and CV. Three letters of reference will be required of candidates under final consideration. Consideration of applications is ongoing and will end when the positions are filled. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Virginia Tech Carilion is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Applicants from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants are encouraged to contact Dr. Chiu and Dr. Casas directly prior to submitting application materials.
- PhD in computational or cognitive neuroscience, engineering, psychology, experimental economics, or a related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Experience with computational neuroscience, signal processing, Bayesian inference, cognitive neuroscience, or machine learning.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence.
- Clinically-oriented candidates with strong science backgrounds.
- Good writing skills; particularly with respect to report writing and editing.
- Creative, independent, and highly motivated, with good communication skills.
- Strong work habits and the ability to work independently as well as in a fast-paced research environment with a team.