RN MICU/SICU 7p-7a, Experienced
Job posting number: #7197681 (Ref:ccf19529903)
Posted: December 1, 2023
ONA Bidding Period: 12/1/23 - 12/8/23
Join Cleveland Clinic Akron General where research and surgery are advanced, technology is leading-edge, patient care is world-class, and caregivers are family. Through providing the communities in and around Summit County with top-quality patient care, Akron General earned the No. 1 hospital ranking in Akron and the No. 7 hospital ranking in Ohio. Here, you will work with and learn from some of our best caregivers, receive endless support and appreciation and build a rewarding career with one of the most respected healthcare organizations in the world.
Akron General’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU) encompasses both the 12-bed Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) and 12-bed Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU). As a Registered Nurse (RN), you will provide comprehensive, patient-centered critical care to diverse populations of patients ranging from young adults to geriatric patients. Patients in the ICU have a wide range of needs as these are Level 1 trauma, COVID, critical care, and CRRT dialysis patients requiring one-on-one care. To ensure that all Registered Nurses are providing the highest quality and safest care possible, you will be required to take the Emergency Nurses Association’s Trauma Nursing Core Course and must be certified in Advanced Life Support and Basic Life Support.
The ideal future caregiver is someone who:
• Thrives in a strong team environment.
• Is passionate about critical care.
• Can critically think and problem solve for patients’ best interests.
• Demonstrates a strong work ethic.
• Is patient, compassionate and empathetic.
Cleveland Clinic values and supports our nurses by offering student loan repayment and tuition reimbursement to eligible full- and part-time RNs.
At Cleveland Clinic, we know what matters most. That's why we treat our caregivers as if they are our own family, and we are always creating ways to be there for you. Here, you'll find that we offer: resources to learn and grow, a fulfilling career for everyone, and comprehensive benefits that invest in your health, your physical and mental well-being and your future. When you join Cleveland Clinic, you'll be part of a supportive caregiver family that will be united in shared values and purpose to fulfill our promise of being the best place to receive care and the best place to work in healthcare.
- ASSESSMENTS: Completes ongoing assessments.
- Recognizes significant changes in patient condition and responds appropriately.
- PLANNING: Develops measurable goals for identified problems.
- Updates goals for identified problems.
- Involves the patient/family (or designee) in developing a plan of care individualized to patient cultural, religious and educational needs.
- Coordinates the interdisciplinary plan of care.
- Serves as a patient advocate.
- IMPLEMENTATION: Provides nursing care based on patient-centered outcomes and standards of care that are based on current research and evidence-based practice.
- Administers patient care and treatments safely in accordance with the Standards of Safe Nursing Practice and institutional policy.
- Administers medications safely in accordance with the Standards of Safe Nursing Practice and institutional policy.
- Documents legibly using concise terms, correct terminology and approved abbreviations.
- EVALUATION: Participates in ongoing interdisciplinary evaluation of patient/family outcomes and contributes to the improvement of care.
- Participates in the quality improvement processes.
- LEADERSHIP/PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Delegates tasks/assignments to employees according to their ability and within the scope of their job descriptions and according to the Delegation by Licensed Nurses, Ohio Administrative Code.
- Serves as a resource person sharing knowledge/skills.
- Acts as a role model/mentor.
- Recognizes and acknowledges peer accomplishments.
- Accepts/receives constructive criticism.
- Participates in the Peer and Self-Review process.
- Pursues ongoing education and/or certification in specialty.
- Maintains membership in professional organizations.
- Involves self in professional development opportunities including community activities.
- Adheres to values/guest service standards and Guiding Principles.
- Completes mandatory education and training in order to maintain organization and department specific competencies and requirements. Maintains applicable certification/licensure. Maintains required CPR (BLS and ACLS). Department specific: If assigned to ICU or PICU satisfactorily completes TNCC certification within one year of appointment. If assigned to CCU or CVSU satisfactorily completes IABP certification within one year of employment. If assigned to ICU or CVSU satisfactorily completes CVVHD training within one year of appointment. Satisfactorily completes Critical Care course as administered by Staff Development (if new grad or new to critical care field).
- Follows hospital and department policies and procedures with special attention to attendance and punctuality, confidentiality, dress code and display of ID badge, and safety.
- Department Specific Duties: Reviews and documents progress of care and discharge goals with patient/family.
- Identifies need and accepts responsibility for becoming a consistent caregiver for patients with complex care needs.
- Establishes priorities for delivery of patient care to individual patients and for assigned group of patients.
- Participates in and documents patient care, discharge planning and case management conferences.
- Communicates information regarding patient plan of care, current outcomes, and acuity, at shift report.
- Using appropriate chain of command, communicates information in a timely fashion to Director, physician, or Nursing Coordinator regarding changes in patient condition and patient care/unit issues.
- Performs in a calm and professional manner during crisis or emergency situations.
- Demonstrates satisfactory performance/understanding of established and new routines, procedures, skills and equipment.
- Participates in research activities.
- Demonstrates ability to perform unit coordinator responsibilities as assigned.
- Assists in orientation of registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and other hospital personnel.
- Participates in clinical instruction programs to provide learning experiences for students.
- Serves on committees within the Department of Nursing, participates in nursing grand rounds presentations, and remains aware of activities of shared governance councils.
- Demonstrates understanding of emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation and internal/external disaster plans and procedures.
- Incorporates the use of Informatic tools, principles, theories, and practices in the safe and effective delivery of care.
- Ensures JCAHO Core Measures related to nursing care are achieved as applicable to patient diagnosis.
- Incorporates patient safety goals in daily practice.
- Works effectively to create and maintain a positive work environment.
- Completes all paper and electronic records related to the patient nursing care.
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing, BSN preferred.
- Current licensed as a registered nurse in the state of Ohio.
- If assigned to ICU or PICU satisfactorily completes TNCC certification within one year of appointment.
- If assigned to CCU or CVSU satisfactorily completes IABP certification within one year of employment.
- BLS and ACLS required
Complexity of Work:
- Maintains competencies specific to patient population served.
- Satisfactorily completes AGMC RN and Critical Care Unit orientation programs.
- Satisfactorily completes Critical Care course as administered by Staff Development (if new grad or new to critical care field).
- Six months experience in nursing for CSU position.
- If assigned to ICU or CVSU satisfactorily completes CVVHD training within one year of appointment.
- Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patient, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination.
- Requires standing and walking for extended periods of time.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
- Requires working under stressful conditions and irregular hours.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and/or body fluids.
- Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.