Job posting number: #7199780 (Ref:ccf19554520)
Posted: December 7, 2023
Join Cleveland Clinic’s Mercy Hospital where research and surgery are advanced, technology is leading-edge, patient care is world-class, and caregivers are family. Officially becoming a full member of the Cleveland Clinic Health System in 2021, Mercy Hospital offers 476 beds and a wide variety of medical specialties to the communities in and around Stark County. Here, you will work alongside passionate and dedicated caregivers, receive endless support and appreciation, and build a rewarding career with one of the most respected healthcare organizations in the world.
We are looking for a Perfusionist to join our team. As a perfusionist, you are essential to the patient and our team during surgery. Your duties include but are not limited to:
• Assembling, disassembling, and operating the heart lung machine.
• Providing total patient support during cardiopulmonary bypass.
• Teaching Cleveland Clinic perfusion students and lecturing on perfusion techniques and topics.
• Participating in research/product evaluation activities.
Our ideal caregiver is someone who:
• Has a strong work ethic.
• Excels working both independently and as part of a team.
• Can effectively multi-task while remaining calm under pressure.
At Cleveland Clinic, we know what matters most. That's why we treat our caregivers as if they are our own family, and we are always creating ways to be there for you. Here, you'll find that we offer: resources to learn and grow, a fulfilling career for everyone, and comprehensive benefits that invest in your health, your physical and mental well-being and your future. When you join Cleveland Clinic, you'll be part of a supportive caregiver family that will be united in shared values and purpose to fulfill our promise of being the best place to receive care and the best place to work in healthcare.
- Assembles and operates the heart lung machine within the accepted safe scope of established clinical practice.
- Sets up and operates ECMO's, Cell Savers, Rapid Infusion Devices and all available perfusion devices which may involve the use of X-rays or fluoroscopy as a diagnostic aid in the procedure.
- Manages the patient parameters within the accepted safe ranges of established clinical practice.
- Supports organ transplants, laser procedures, new surgical procedures and perioperative LVAD support.
- Performs patient charting; prepares sterile packs.
- Assists in research, animal testing , product evaluation and education of staff and students.
- Maintains current knowledge in perfusion.
- Shares on- call responsibilities and the routine staffing and operating room coverage.
- Shares the daily tasks and operation of the department functions such as lab coverage, stocking of supplies and equipment maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and completion of an accredited school of perfusion and eligible to take the certification examination of the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion and/or currently a CCP in good standing.
- Certification as a Clinical Perfusionist (CCP) preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work unsupervised or with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic environment and take appropriate action.
- After selection and placement into this job, three months of on-the-job experience is required to become proficient with various perfusion techniques, unique equipment and with various operative procedures.
- One year on-the-job training also required to become proficient with various perfusion techniques and protocols unique to CCF.
- Requires a full range of body motion including the ability to lift and/or bear the weight of 100 pounds or more while pulling, lifting, pushing and transferring patients.
- Must be able to stand, walk or sit for extended periods.
- Good visual acuity through normal or corrected vision.
- Must be willing to rotate 24 hour coverage (on-call) and be able to work under stressful conditions.
- Must have the ability to work within guidelines of universal safety precautions, using protective gear.
- May be required to travel in ambulance, small airplanes or helicopter for organ procurement.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.