Microbiology Medical Technologist
Job posting number: #7199786 (Ref:ccf19556394)
Posted: December 7, 2023
Join Cleveland Clinic Weston Hospital’s team of caregivers that remain on the leading edge of technology and education all while consistently providing patient-centered healthcare. As part of Cleveland Clinic’s Florida region, Weston Hospital is recognized as one of the top hospitals in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale metro area and Florida. Here, you will work alongside passionate and dedicated caregivers, receive endless support and appreciation, and build a rewarding career with one of the most respected healthcare organizations in the world.
Join our team as a Medical Technologist where you will conduct laboratory testing and report the results. Caregivers in this position will accurately identify each patient specimen and testing to ensure the results are accurate and will report them to supervision in a timely manner. Your primary duties will include:
• Identifying and resolving pending results from laboratory information.
• Maintaining cleanliness of work areas and keeping areas organized and stocked with supplies.
• Reporting information such as panic values, instrument malfunctions and more to the physician patient care areas.
The ideal future caregiver is someone who:
• Works well in a close-knit, teambuilding environment.
• Has a Bachelor's or Associate degree in Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Medical Technology or equivalent.
• Can be punctual and efficient daily.
• Provides daily compassion and empathy.
This is an excellent opportunity for those who are flexible and would like to advance their career growth opportunities within Cleveland Clinic. Caregivers in this position will have a steady schedule and positive team atmosphere. There are also opportunities to advance into leading tech positions.
At Cleveland Clinic, we know what matters most. That's why we treat our caregivers as if they are our own family, and we are always creating ways to be there for you. Here, you'll find that we offer: resources to learn and grow, a fulfilling career for everyone, and comprehensive benefits that invest in your health, your physical and mental well-being and your future. When you join Cleveland Clinic, you'll be part of a supportive caregiver family that will be united in shared values and purpose to fulfill our promise of being the best place to receive care and the best place to work in healthcare.
- Conducts quality laboratory testing and result reporting.
- Ensures that results are reported in compliance with the goals and standards of the department, hospital and applicable accrediting organizations (AHCA, CLIA, COLA, and JCAHO).
- Accurately identifies each patient specimen and testing orders and ensures results are accurate and reported in a timely manner.
- Ensures specimen integrity and identification and resolves specimens not meeting testing criteria.
- Identifies and resolves pending specimen results from laboratory information system for assigned departments.
- Reports pertinent information to the physician, patient care area or supervisor (e.g., panic values, instrument malfunctions, delay in testing, reagent or supply depletion).
- Notes “dates opened” and “expiration dates” on reagents, controls, etc., and uses reagents and controls only to their expiration dates.
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and keeps work areas Organizational and stocked.
- Follows safety procedures and utilizes all safety devices and personal protective equipment per protocol.
- Follows troubleshooting procedures to correct deficiencies or problems as they occur with instruments and equipment.
- Ensures instrument operation and results are reliable and performs maintenance checks, start ups, and shut downs as assigned or required.
- Answers the telephone, greets customers and provides consult and technical support to the physicians, phlebotomists and nursing staff.
- Follows quality control policy and ensures controls are within acceptable limits before patient results are reported.
- Documents quality control and out of range results in an appropriate manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree in Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Medical Technology or equivalent required.
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences and Medical Technology preferred.
- Must be licensed in the State of Florida at the technologist levels.
- A minimum of one or more specialties; Microbiology, Immunohematology or all licenses.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification is preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Includes attitude, behavior, interpersonal skill, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner.
- Adaptability: Includes teamwork and flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Includes quantity and quality of desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform successfully.
- Essential Job Requirements: Includes adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work environment, including maintenance of required competencies and communication skills.
- Managerial Responsibilities: Includes overall accountability for assigned work group relative to operational goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constraints.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
- This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
- One (1) year clinical experience preferred.
- This position involves turning, stooping, bending, stretching, walking and standing.
- The average amount of lifting is 10 pounds with occasional carrying of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Sitting for short periods of time, the ability to file, move records, laboratory supplies, and equipment are also required physical duties.
- Communication by means of the spoken, written and typed word is required.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye hand coordination to operate a computer keyboard at a moderate skill level.
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work collaboratively with department director, physicians and other members of the healthcare team; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem solve and make decisions; ability to exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Special Demands: Use of personal protective equipment is required as there is a potential for exposure to biohazardous or infectious agents when drawing and processing specimens.
- Confidentiality: The employee has access to the entire medical record for the purpose of charting and correcting laboratory results AND review of physician orders.
- The access is limited to the amount reasonably necessary to achieve the purpose of the laboratory testing request.
- The disclosure or requests that occur on a routine or recurring basis include patient demographics, condition and laboratory results.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.