Asst Manager, Asset Lifecycle
Job posting number: #7204701 (Ref:hh-64724BR)
Posted: January 6, 2024
Position DescriptionThe Assistant Manager for Asset Lifecycle Management serves as a crucial liaison between planning and operational execution, collaborating closely with the Asset Lifecycle Manager to oversee and optimize the processes, policies, workflows, and procurement activities integral to managing the Harvard Medical School’s IT asset portfolio. This position plays a pivotal role in developing, maintaining, and enhancing technologies, standards, and measurements to effectively manage and track the lifecycle of technology-related hardware and software.
Working in tandem with the Asset Lifecycle Manager, this role actively contributes to optimizing technology spending, ensuring compliance, and driving business performance objectives. The Assistant Manager recruits, supervises, and supports a team responsible for Asset Lifecycle Management activities in achieving quality control throughout the lifecycle of all IT assets from acquisition through to disposal.
- Assist with management of the day-to-day activities of the ALM team including acquisition, deployment, maintenance, and disposal processes, ensuring quality control throughout the IT asset lifecycle and compliance with security requirements.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Assist with management of the ALM ticket queue and act as queue manager.
- Engage with Harvard Medical School departments and key technology contacts regarding efforts to centralize IT procurement activities and expand formal asset lifecycle practices.
- Participate in procurement activities in an effort to centralize IT spending; provide guidance on technology needs, contribute to the development of procurement strategies, and submit purchases on behalf of customer groups and the larger IT department while adhering to all HMS, IT, and University Finance requirements.
- Assist in developing and maintaining streamlined workflows, policies, and documentation for effective IT asset portfolio management, aligning with business performance objectives and IT governance.
- Work closely with the Asset Lifecycle Manager to develop and refine strategies for effective IT asset portfolio management, optimizing technology spending, and ensuring compliance with established standards and security policies.
- Contribute to employing a continuous improvement approach in technology spending, leveraging technology and process automation where applicable.
- Provide retrospective and predictive reporting to inform operational, resource, and budget planning activities, ensuring accuracy and relevance.
- Contribute to the creation of process and standards documentation in regards to Asset Lifecycle activities. This might include internal (IT) facing and customer-facing documentation. Advise, teach, and provide guidance and support in the use and selection of appropriate information technologies.
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies, and Code of Conduct.
- Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and supporting operational teams.
- Degree in a relevant field preferred, with significant experience in IT asset management, IT support or related areas.
- Ability to contribute to strategic planning activities and collaborate effectively on process improvement initiatives.
- Familiarity with procurement activities within a large organization (higher education is a plus), technology needs assessment, and the ability to align procurement activities with asset lifecycle standards.
- Strong leadership skills, fostering an inclusive and innovative work environment, with the capability to provide guidance and support to operational staff.
- Familiarity with ServiceNow and its Hardware Asset Management tools is beneficial.
Additional InformationThe health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities! (https://www.gem.com ?formID=16341e35-cbc6-4904-88a3-09b35763307e)
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.