Postdoctoral Scientist - Lahiri Lab - Department of Neurology
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7210559 (Ref:483)
Posted: January 23, 2024
If you're ready to be a part of groundbreaking research, then we invite you to consider this exciting opportunity and apply today!
Principal Investigator, Shouri Lahiri, MD, is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The Postdoctoral Scientist will join the Lahiri Laboratory, which is focused on the intersection of acute systemic disease and neurocognitive function. The laboratory uses animal models that simulate the acute inpatient environment to explore mechanisms that explain the well-documented high rates of cognitive decline after acute hospitalization.
In this role, you will be working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other research staff members. You will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. You may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. You are also expected to analyze/interpret data and may assist in the preparation of grant proposals. This position participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This role is not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and performs experiments.
- Maintains experimental records and documentation and analyzes the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Department-Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Animal Surgical Area: ensures animal surgical surfaces and equipment are clean and organized. Ensures animal surgical area follows all CSMC and Comparative Medicine policies and procedures.
- Ensures pharmaceuticals are dispensed per protocol, appropriate supplies maintained, secured and disposed of according to established policies and procedures.
- Performs intubation, mechanical ventilation, vascular catheterization and line placement for physiological monitoring in rats and mice.
- Works collaboratively with biomedical imaging staff to acquire advanced cerebral and systemic physiological imaging.
- Performs stereotaxic surgery technique, including cisternal infusions, on rats and mice.
- Tail vein and retro-orbital injection in mice, oral lavaging the rodents and mice; vaccination and survival studies a measure the permeability constant using quantitative auto radiography.
- Innovative histology/imaging techniques including quantitative bright-field and fluorescence microscopy, confocal microscopy is required.
- Performs routine biomedical experimental protocols including immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, ELISA, and neuronal cell culture.
Doctorate (PhD) in Neuroscience or an area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
Experience and Skills:
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Technical skills and expertise in an area of study including, but not limited to neurological, cardiac, and pulmonary physiology, molecular/cellular biology.
- Experience in microvascular animal surgery with focus on intubation, mechanical, ventilation, microvascular catheterization.
Ability to handle small laboratory animals, sit and stand for long periods, use microscope and other laboratory equipment, and lift at least 20 pounds.
About the Team
Req ID : 483
Working Title : Postdoctoral Scientist - Lahiri Lab - Department of Neurology
Department : Research - Neurology
Business Entity : Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category : Academic / Research
Job Specialty : Postdoctoral Scholar
Overtime Status : EXEMPT
Primary Shift : Day
Shift Duration : 8 hour
Base Pay : $64,500.00 - $93,600.00