Assistant Research Scientist - Cloud and aerosol-cloud-climate interactions modeling
Job posting number: #7214143 (Ref:417237)
Posted: February 6, 2024
The Environmental Science Division at the Argonne National Laboratory is seeking a highly motivated research scientist experienced with modeling, parameterizing, and analyzing clouds and aerosol-cloud-climate interactions.
In this role you can expect to:
- Work with an interdisciplinary team on model developments of clouds and aerosol-cloud-climate interactions for coarse and high-resolution models on both CPU and GPU computers, including using artificial intelligence (AI) / machine learning (ML) methods.
- Lead the work in modeling weather and climate and evaluating models and parameterizations by using observations from a variety of platforms (satellite, surface-based, and in-situ aircraft).
- Ph.D. Degree in geophysical sciences and engineering or related fields and 0+ years of experience.
- Strong technical knowledge in cloud physics and aerosol-cloud-climate interactions.
- Experience in parameterizing cloud microphysical and aerosol-cloud-climate interaction processes. Experience in developing E3SM and WRF is preferred.
- Experience in using AI/ML for physics parameterizations is preferred.
- Knowledge of using atmospheric observational datasets and GPU-based computational platforms is desirable.
- Demonstrated success in clear and concise writing of technical papers and in interacting and communicating effectively with colleagues and collaborating with peers.
- Ability to think quickly and problem-solve when managing difficult situations.
- Organizational skills and flexibility in coordinating a broad spectrum of activities.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileAtmospheric & Earth Science 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.