Postdoctoral Scientist - Kumar Lab - Regenerative Medicine Institute
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7215245 (Ref:442)
Posted: February 7, 2024
The Kumar Laboratory at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Regenerative Medicine Institute is looking for a passionate, inquisitive, and enthusiastic individual who wishes to investigate the cellular and molecular underpinnings of the regenerative responses post -mammalian acute kidney injury with a goal to identify novel therapeutic targets and strategies to augment intrinsic regenerative responses and inhibit fibrosis post-injury. Such approaches will “kick-start” the acutely injured kidneys and prevent their progression to chronic kidney disease!
The coupling of innovative transgenic mice to the repair/regeneration model of acute kidney injury the incumbent will study the key biological processes involved in the regeneration of an injured epithelia per se. To gain further insights into such regenerative responses, such responses are also interrogated during kidney development. In addition, the laboratory will leverage on the world-class human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPS) core facilities of RMI to establish systems for kidney disease modeling and investigation of human renal repair responses. To learn more, visit Liver & Kidney Program | Cedars-Sinai
Working independently but in close cooperation with Dr. Kumar and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period. The Postdoc participates in laboratory meetings, keeps a lab notebook, performs calculations, tabulates data, summarizes methods and results of related experiments, and maintains general lab space. The incumbent will be assigned to a funded project investigating the above processes and will gain critical insights into kidney progenitor cells and kidney repair/regeneration.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparing grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- May observe MD-patient or MD-human research subject interactions as they pertain directly to research being performed.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in the area directly related to research specialization.
Experience and Skills:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research projects and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within the area of specialization.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Scheduling flexibility including evening, weekend, and holiday rotation commitments may be necessary. Travel may be required.
- Function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians, and students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
About the Team
Req ID : 442
Working Title : Postdoctoral Scientist - Kumar Lab - Regenerative Medicine Institute
Department : Research - RMI
Business Entity : Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category : Academic / Research
Job Specialty : Postdoctoral Scholar
Overtime Status : EXEMPT
Primary Shift : Day
Shift Duration : 8 hour
Base Pay : $62,400 - $93,600