Job posting number: #7216054 (Ref:hh-64899BR)
Posted: February 10, 2024
Position DescriptionThe Wu lab is seeking a lab manager/Research Assistant to support our team of geneticists, microscopists, engineers, biophysicists, and computational biologists as we develop and apply technologies with the goal of imaging, analyzing, and modeling the human genome in its entirety at super-resolution. The successful candidate will handle a diversity of support tasks for the laboratory (~15 hours/week) and then use the remaining time to support our research.
Support tasks would include, but are not limited to:
- Purchasing, shipping, receiving, and all related paperwork, including filing Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) documents.
- Maintaining the tissue culture room, coldroom, refrigerators, freezers, liquid nitrogen tanks, and a wide variety of other laboratory equipment, including working with facilities maintenance crews and housekeeping, as needed.
- Managing laboratory waste, including monitoring how well the lab is adhering to guidelines, attending required meetings, and relaying key information to the lab.
- Handling all aspects of maintaining lab safety, including working with Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) and the Committee on Microbiological Safety (COMS).
- Maintaining common areas of the lab, making stock solutions, and autoclaving,
- Maintaining and updating the lab website and meeting schedule.
- Making Oligopaint probes for fluorescent in situ hybridization.
- Conducting FISH analyses to validate the effectiveness of the probes generated.
- Maintaining cell cultures.
- Teaching Oligopaint protocols to new lab members and collaborators.
- Assisting other researchers as needed.
Basic QualificationsCollege background and 2+ years of relevant experience.
Additional Qualifications and SkillsThe successful candidate will have had at least 2-3 years of experience working in a laboratory, be as comfortable working as part of a team as working semi-independently, enjoy seeking additional responsibilities and exceeding expectations, and have strong skills in time management, recording keeping, paying attention to details, and building and maintaining relationships. The successful candidate will also be familiarity with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, have good communication skills, and a desire to learn.
Additional InformationThis is a one-year term position from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension, contingent upon work performance and continued funding to support the position.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities! (https://www.gem.com ?formID=16341e35-cbc6-4904-88a3-09b35763307e)
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.