Laboratory Director

Baylor College of Medicine

Houston, TX

Job posting number: #7235011 (Ref:19003-en_US)

Posted: April 6, 2024

Job Description


The Laboratory Director will oversee day to day operation of the NMR and Drug Metabolism Core, an Institutional Advanced Technology Core (ATC). The main duties will be the direct management of the operation of the Bruker timsTOF flex imaging mass spectrometer (IMS) as a core service including establishing standard operating procedures, scheduling projects, design and consultation of projects with core users, implementing and trouble shooting the workflow and providing reports of results and managing data. Additional duties will include management of other core services including LC/MS-based drug metabolism assays and NMR-based analytical methods and administrative, financial and education/training activities of the Core. Lab management duties are expected to require slight majority of time and effort of 60%. The remaining 40% time and effort will be operating and performing imaging mass spectrometry experiments.

Job Duties

  • Interact with Core users to help them design and implement their IMS and LC/MS projects. This will include sample preparation and quality control, MS analysis of samples using best practices ,reporting results to core users and management and analysis of data.
  • Supervise and provide oversight of core staff scientist performing MS analysis as ~ 60% time and effort and will also conduct hands-on laboratory MS experiments as other 40% time and effort.
  • Oversee and/or implement equipment maintenance and repair, supervise others who use or service the IMS instrument and inventory and order consumables supplies.
  • Complete administrative and management duties specific to core operations.
  • Participate in bi-monthly Core Director meetings, annual meetings of the Scientific Advisory Committee and to assist the Academic Director with compiling data and reports for these meetings as well as annual progress reports and reviews of cores.
  • Assist the Academic Director with grant applications for direct support of core operations and conduct literature searches to stay current with technologies.

Minimum Qualifications

  • Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
  • Five years of relevant experience.

Preferred Qualifications

  • Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline.
  • Five years of work related research experience after their terminal degree training.
  • Extensive experience with imaging mass spectrometry, preferably with MALDI systems, as well as LC/MS experience with lipidomics, metabolomics and small molecule drugs and drug metabolism.
  • Experience with NMR spectroscopy instrumentation and methodology would also be valuable.



Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.




Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.

Apply Now

Please mention to the employer that you saw this ad on

More Info

Job posting number:#7235011 (Ref:19003-en_US)
Application Deadline:Open Until Filled
Employer Location:Baylor College of Medicine
United States
More jobs from this employer
Institution Website